Friday, February 16, 2018

Project blog 2/18/18

Image: 

Summary: This week we did a project that wanted us to create a roller coaster. The roller coaster had to be safe and it had to work at least 2 out of 3 times. This helped us review what we've been learning for the past few weeks. Some of which are acceleration, newton's laws, different types of forces, distance, velocity, etc. This project also helped me understand how things speed up and slow down a bit better. I learned that when a marble goes over a bump it doesn't just make the marble slow down, it also makes the marble speed up. Another thing I learned was that friction is included in forces and in physics. Friction is when an object slows down because of something it goes against. An example of friction is when a car is moving and when the car slows down the wheels rub against the floor to slow down along with using the breaks.

Backward-Looking: How much did you know about the subject before we started?
I didn't know that much about physics before we started researching and then we started the project. Before we started researching though I only knew about gravity and how it was included in physics. But when we started to research I didn't know that there was so many subjects that were in physics. I also didn't know that newton had 3 laws or that physics had it's own amount of force (joules). When we started to build though, I knew the basic information of physics. But then I forgot some of the stuff that we started to research in the beginning.

Inward-Looking: What did/do you find frustrating about it?
What I found frustrating about this project is that when our design wouldn't work we had to think of something else to do and it didn't look very exciting. I also found it frustrating that when one of my teammates had an idea and when we knew it wouldn't work, they still tried. We were also running out of time though to finish the project. This also didn't give us time to decorate the roller coaster which is also frustrating. One last thing that I found frustrating is that when we were already done with the roller coaster some of my teammates kept testing it when we still had to answer some questions on a paper.

Outward-Looking: In what ways did your work meet the standards for this assignment? In what ways did it not meet those standards?
A few ways that our work met the standards for the assignment is that, it was finished, it had a loop, it works, and it's safe. But it didn't meet the standards in decorating since it didn't have any decorations and it didn't have any color on it. Our roller coaster also didn't have a noticeable theme, while other coasters did. But ours worked most of the time and it was safe. Our roller coaster also was sturdy and it was 1 meter, it also didn't go above 1 meter.

Forward-Looking: What would you change if you had a chance to do this piece over again?
If I had a chance to do this project again I would change the sketch to be more reasonable, I would plan out the materials beforehand, and plan out what we were going to do in the project. I would make the sketch more reasonable by thinking about what would actually be possible to create with the materials that we have at hind. I would also plan out what materials to use beforehand by thinking about what could be used in the design and if it would make sense to use it. Lastly I would plan out what we were going to do on certain days and when we would finish a part of the project. This way everything is organized and everything isn’t all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment