Friday, May 29, 2015

weekly blog 5/29/15

Scientific American in the article, Do dyes make some children hyperactive?, This article explains that some children get hyperactive after eating krafts mac and cheese because it has dyes . The main idea of this article is that some children get hyperactive after eating the dyes that are in krafts mac and cheese. The name of the dyes are Yellow No. 5 and  Yellow No. 6. 

In the beginning, the article talks about the dye and how kraft is going to change the dyes with natural food colorings. The Food and drug administration (FDA) is part of the government and its job is too make sure food is safe for people to eat. This means that if the FDA thinks that the dyes are bad for people to eat then they might say that people can't use it in foods.

The Scientific American states that Yellow No. 5 and 6 might be bad for children to eat.  To clarify if the food dyes are bad for children the FDA needs to further understand what it's made of. As I understand it, some children are more effected by dye yellow. No. 5 and 6 and some are not as effective.

Finally, the author concludes that krafts macoronni will change to natural food colors and that the FDA might shut down yellow food dye.

The author's purpose is to persuade people to cook with normal food coloring so that kids don't get side effects.


link



I didn't know much about this subject before because I never bothered to study it until I read the article and its acually interesting. Now I know that some dyes might be bad for certain people and that its better to have natural food coloring. The difference in what I knew before isn't very great because I only learned a small amount of food dyes.


I chose this article because it seemed interesting to me and when I read some of it I just got rapped up in the story. The facts are interesting and since I haven't read it before I don't know what it's going to say next and I just think it's a good article to read. One thing that isn't that interesting is the part when it explains that kraft is going to change their food dyes to natural coloring.


The information in this article can affect the future by persuading  people to use natural food coloring instead of food dyes that are not natural. Maybe in the future there is no dyes in food and everything is naturally colored. It would be healthier but the food might be a different color in the future and we would need to get used to what color the food is.


A possible expansion on the topic is that the author could tell people about what the dyes are made of and what it has in it. The author could also tell people about how long we have been using yellow No. 5 and 6 so we could know how long it will last. One more thing is that he could tell people about other food dyes that are put in different foods and what they have in them.


Surprise

When I was surprised I was looking at the projector screen.
The surprise was that I was in Mr.P's class.
It was surprising because I thought I would be in a different class.
What this can tell me is that next time I can expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment